First things first…technically this recipe may not be raw. I used dried coconut. I don’t know what temperature the coconut was dried at so it might not actually be raw. And there are a couple other minor ingredients I’m not 100% sure about. However, it’s close enough for me!
Now on to the good stuff. As in the wonderful, fresh flavor of kiwi mixed with light cream and topped off with a coconut crumble. If you’re not a fan of kiwi, you can use any fruit in this recipe. But who’s not a fan of kiwi? This is seriously yummy stuff. And this is a very easy recipe, so I hope you’ll give it a try!
I have read that you can make your own coconut butter by simply processing the heck out of shredded coconut in a food processor or blender. So that’s how I started the base of the crumble. I dumped in some coconut and let that baby process for a good long while. Okay, so it wasn’t that long because I’m not that patient, but I’m guessing it was at least five minutes. I didn’t get full on coconut butter, but it was definitely starting to get some creaminess to it. Then I added in some almonds and raisins (great for natural sweetening) and let it go for awhile again. It was beginning to get a nut butter texture but still had a fine crumble to it (see pic above). I think there could be enough moistness in the crumble that you could press it into a dish and use it as a crust if you wanted to (but I haven’t tried that, so I don’t know for sure…just an idea).
The cream is very simple to make with raw cashews. I made three servings of this little dessert and had some cream left over for another recipe…of course mine didn’t make it to another recipe. It’s yummy all by itself or as a dip for any fruit.
I remembered I had some fresh pomegranate in the fridge, so I topped off this serving with a few seeds. Isn’t it so pretty? The pomegranate was a nice addition, both in color and flavor, so I highly recommend it! And let’s not forget pomegranate is super healthy for you. I’ve been adding a bit of juice to all my smoothies lately. So good!
- 1 c. shredded coconut
- ¼ c. almonds
- ¼ c. raisins
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- dash salt
- 1 c. raw cashews
- ½ c. water
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- scant ⅛ tsp. stevia powder
- 2-3 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- fresh pomegranate (optional)
- Put the coconut in a food processor and process for several minutes until you see the first signs of it becoming "butter."
- Add in the almonds, raisins, cinnamon, and salt. Continue to process several more minutes until creaminess develops but you still have a fine crumble.
- In a strong blender (I use a Vitamix), add cashews, water, vanilla, and stevia. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- In serving dishes, layer kiwi, cream, and crumble.
- Top with fresh pomegranate seeds if desired.