Author: Nicole at mydeliciousdream.com
A rich, dessert-like salad made with almond milk, coconut butter, carrot, and clementines or mandarin oranges. Vegan, grain-free, gluten-free.
- 3 c. almond milk
- ½ + ⅛ tsp. xanthan gum
- ½ + ⅛ tsp. guar gum
- ⅛ tsp. stevia powder**
- 3 T. xylitol (I used it in powdered sugar form)**
- ¼ tsp. orange flavor*
- 1 small to medium carrot (not too big!)
- ⅓ c. coconut butter
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 5 clementines or mandarin oranges, peeled, seeded & cut in chunks
- Put everything except the clementines in the blender and blend until smooth. It will thicken right away.
- If you don't have a high-powered blender, I'd suggest adding the xanthan and guar gum last and then blending right away so they don't have time to get clumpy.
- Stir in the clementines into the blended mixture and then keep the salad chilled until you're ready to serve it.
- I suggest chilling it for at least a couple hours before serving.
*There is a difference between orange flavorings, and I've discovered a big difference between orange flavoring or extract and orange oil. The strength of the flavor can vary a lot depending on the variety you have. I suggest testing it out and starting with a very small amount and increasing the flavor as needed. You may need more or less than what this recipe calls for.
**You could definitely experiment with sweeteners in this recipe. I used stevia and xylitol to keep it as low glycemic as possible, but certainly there are other options.
Recipe by My Delicious Dream at http://mydeliciousdream.com/orange-cream-salad/